The Breast Cancer Risk Assessment Program at Lowell General Hospital brings together a multidisciplinary team of breast surgeons, breast health nurse practitioners, medical oncologists, and breast imaging radiologists to discuss recommendations for risk-based breast screening. Together, they help develop a personalized plan to help you manage risk factors for the disease.
Our experts will:
- Review your family history and other risk factors
- Provide individualized risk assessment
- Perform a clinical breast exam and instruct you in breast self-exam
- Discuss and offer genetic testing if applicable
- Provide individualized cancer prevention and screening information
Our nurse practitioners will schedule appropriate imaging follow-up and monitoring following National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) and American College of Radiology (ACR) guidelines. Our team communicates directly with patients’ primary care physicians to ensure everyone is informed and involved.
Who is at High Risk for Breast Cancer?
All women are at risk for developing breast cancer. A woman with average risk has a 1 in 8 chance or 12% risk of developing breast cancer in her lifetime. Some women have personal or family risk factors that increase their lifetime risk of developing breast cancer. If a woman is assessed at high risk, she has a 20% or greater chance of developing breast cancer over her lifetime. Our program is designed to help women improve these odds.
Risk factors for Breast Cancer Include:
- Age – women are more likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer as they get older
- Family history of breast cancer or ovarian cancer
- Dense breast tissue
- Prior radiation to the chest
- A history of gene mutation
- Reproductive and menstrual history
- Certain pathology found on a breast biopsy
- Lifestyle factors
Services and Treatments
- Genetic testing referrals
- Breast cancer risk reduction medications when indicated
- Nutrition education and support
- Breast Screening
Referrals for genetic counseling and testing are available when appropriate through the Genetics Division of Tufts Medical Center. Our team works closely with the Tufts Genetics team to provide quality genetic evaluation.
Meet the Team
Breast Cancer Risk Assessment Program Physicians
Breast Health Nurse Practitioners
Our breast health Nurse Practitioners see high-risk patients in our Breast Cancer Risk Assessment Program.