Visitor Policy Update June 2023
Visitors may be screened upon entry into the facility and/or a patient’s room.
Visitors with respiratory disease, recent exposure to infectious diseases or any sign of communicable infection (such as a simple cold, cough or rash) are not permitted to visit hospital patients as a visitor can easily spread infections to you and other patients.
Visitors should check in with the unit’s team center to inform staff of their presence prior to entering a patient’s room.
Visitors should wash their hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer before entering any patient rooms.
All children must be accompanied and supervised by a responsible adult (not the patient).
There may be limits placed on the number of visitors, including overnight visitors, at any time by a member of the healthcare team.
Patients have the right to refuse visitors at any time by informing a member of their healthcare team.
If a patient is undergoing a medical consultation or procedure, visitation may be temporarily restricted.
In cases of special care precautions, appropriate signs are posted on patient room doors indicating isolation precautions. Visitors must check in with the patient’s nurse prior to entering these patient rooms. Visitors may be instructed to wear specified personal protective equipment.
In the event of a crisis or special situation, patient visitation may be restricted as deemed necessary and appropriate by the administrative coordinator and/or public safety.
- Visiting hours at Lowell General Hospital are 10:00am to 8:00pm, 7 days a week for adult patients.
- Intensive Care Unit visiting hours are 9:00am to 8:00pm
- Special Care Nursery (NICU): No hour limitations for parents/guardians. One visitor is allowed between 10:00am to 8:00pm if accompanied by a parent (must be 16 or older).
- Labor and Delivery: No hour limitations for designated support person. Support person plus one other person allowed (can switch in and out to enable one person in the room at a time).
- Post-Partum Unit: No hour limitations for birth partner/support person. Normal visiting hours are from 10:00am - 8:00pm. One adult is allowed to stay overnight. Siblings under 16 years must be accompanied by an adult who is not the patient.
- Pediatrics Unit: No hour limitations for parents/guardians. One parent may sleep overnight in room. Visiting hours are 10:00am - 8:00pm. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult who is not the patient, and number of visitors in the room at a time may be limited.,
- Emergency Department: No hour limitations for visitor/support person.