Visitor Restriction Update: One Support Person Allowed Per Patient Beginning August 19, 2021
Due to an increase in COVID-19 cases throughout the Commonwealth, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health has released updated visitor policy guidance for hospitals.
At Lowell General Hospital and Circle Health, we want to ensure that you are Safe with Us. We will be updating our visitor policy beginning Thursday, August 19, 2021 as follows to ensure the health and safety of our patients, staff and community:
- Each patient will be allowed one support person over the age of 18 at a time whether the patient is inpatient or outpatient.
- All support persons will be screened for symptoms of COVID-19 when entering any Lowell General Hospital or Circle Health facility. In addition, each support person will be asked to perform hand hygiene and will be given a new hospital-issued facial covering on entry. The support person must wear the facial covering at all times during their visit, including while in the patient’s room.
- Visiting hours at Lowell General Hospital will be 1:00 pm to 7:00 pm, 7 days a week for adult patients.
- Special Care Nursery and Pediatrics: No hour limitations for parents/guardians
- Labor and Delivery: No hour limitations for designated support person.
- Post-Partum Unit: No hour limitation for birth partner/support person
- The cafeteria at both hospital campuses remain closed to the public at this time. We encourage Support Persons to eat before they visit and request that they do not bring outside food or beverages into the hospital or outpatient locations.
- We ask that each patient’s support person limit their travel throughout the hospital to just to and from the location the patient is being treated. Support persons will be directed to the patient’s room or outpatient location upon arrival and asked to travel directly to the exit following their visit.
- We will continue to offer virtual visits for patients’ loved ones via Zoom and other technologies and encourage patients to speak to their medical care team about options to stay connected to loved ones during their stay.
Limited exceptions to the updated visitor policy will be made after careful review by the patient’s care team.
Please note that patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 will not be able to have inpatient visitors at this time with the exception of our end-of-life care guidelines.
We appreciate your support and understanding as we continue to adapt to the challenges COVID-19 has presented in our community.
Download the Lowell General Hospital Visitor Policy August 19, 2021.