Lowell General Hospital participates in the Massachusetts Immunization Information System (MIIS). The MIIS is a statewide, electronic record-keeping system (or registry) that keeps track of your immunizations (shots). This new system will help us keep complete and accurate records of the shots that you or your children get from any doctor or healthcare provider in Massachusetts. It was developed by the Immunization Program at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
The MIIS will allow us to:
- keep all of your important immunization information together in one place for you and all of your healthcare providers;
- know which shots you and your children are due for and when;
- easily send reminders to you about your and your children’s upcoming immunizations to help you in scheduling your next visit; and
- quickly print out the forms your children need for school and camp to save you time each fall and summer.
Immunization registries like the MIIS help healthcare providers make sure that everyone is up-to-date on their immunizations to keep us all healthy and prevent the spread of harmful disease. The system has been created according to state law (M.G.L. c. 111, Section 24M), which requires that healthcare providers who give immunizations report them to the MIIS.
All information in the MIIS is kept secure and confidential. The MIIS allows information to be shared with healthcare providers, school nurses, local boards of health, and state agencies concerned with immunization. You have the right to object to the sharing of your immunization information across providers in the MIIS. You may choose to limit the providers who may see your or your child’s immunization records in the MIIS. However, if you do choose to limit who can view your or your child’s immunization history, we may be unable to give you a complete and accurate record of the immunizations. This limitation means that you must continue to keep track of this information on your own.
The next time you are at Lowell General Hospital, you may receive more information about the MIIS.
Please ask us any questions you may have about MIIS, visit the MIIS website or contact the Massachusetts Immunization Program directly at 617-983-6800 or 888-658-2850.
- Massachusetts MIIS website
- MIIS Fact Sheet for Parents and Patients (English)
- MIIS Fact Sheet for Parents and Patients (Chinese)
- MIIS Fact Sheet for Parents and Patients (Haitian Creole)
- MIIS Fact Sheet for Parents and Patients (Khmer)
- MIIS Fact Sheet for Parents and Patients (Portuguese)
- MIIS Fact Sheet for Parents and Patients (Russian)
- MIIS Fact Sheet for Parents and Patients (Spanish)
- MIIS Fact Sheet for Parents and Patients (Vietnamese)
- Childhood Immunizations
- Tdap Vaccine Clinics