Lowell General Hospital announced that the first baby has been born at its new Labor and Delivery Unit, which officially opened on the fifth floor of the Dahod building at the hospital's main campus on Monday, October 29, 2012. Sarah Cadotte and her husband Ryan of Pepperell, Massachusetts welcomed a baby girl, the second child for the couple.
Photo Caption: Sarah Cadotte and her husband Ryan of Pepperell, Massachusetts with their new baby, Michelle.
Lowell General Hospital's new Labor and Delivery Unit features larger, private patient rooms, where laboring moms and their families can relax and bond. In-room showers and other amenities create a soothing, gracious environment.
"The unit was designed so that new moms will know we have thought of everything to make their birth experience special," says Elizabeth Lydstone, RN, BS, MS-HA, Lowell General Hospital's Director of Maternal Child Health Services. "Interdisciplinary teams from Maternal Child Health and throughout Lowell General were involved in the planning process, from the technology and equipment to design, all to ensure the best family-centered patient experience."
Additional features on the new unit include:
- Four new early labor rooms offer spacious soothing areas for laboring moms
- Hydrotherapy tub room with spa-like atmosphere to soothe laboring moms
- New Triage Area/Outpatient Suite – for specialists to conduct outpatient testing, saving patient wait times and travel to other locations
- New state-of-the art infant security system
- Increased privacy with transportation via a private elevator (separate from staff/visitor elevators) will be available to transport mom and baby to the Mother/Infant Unit
- Two separate large flat screen televisions for mom and family members to enjoy
The Birthplace at Lowell General Hospital has a strong reputation as the region's most trusted maternity service with the area's only Level IIB Special Care Nursery. Through Lowell General Hospital's affiliation with Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts Medical Center, The Birthplace has some of the best obstetricians in the area on staff including Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialists (perinatologists) who are available for diagnostic testing and consultation for high risk pregnancies.
To learn more about Lowell General Hospital's maternal and child health services, please visit Lowell General Hospital's: Regional Center for Maternal & Pediatric Care.