Your initial vaccination offers strong protection against the COVID-19 virus, and are working well to prevent severe illness, hospitalization, and death, even against the widely circulating Delta variant. However, public health experts are starting to see reduced protection, especially among certain populations, against mild and moderate disease.
For certain people at higher risk of developing COVID-19, booster shots are now recommended by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Booster shots are now available for individuals who received the two-dose regimen of the Pfizer-vaccine at least 6 months ago and meet the following criteria:
- Are 65 years and older
- Age 18+ who live in long-term care settings
- Age 18+ who have underlying medical conditions
- Age 18+ who work in high-risk settings, such healthcare workers, firefighters, police, teachers, daycare workers, food and agriculture workers, grocery store workers, public transit workers, and more.
- Age 18+ who live in high-risk settings
At this time, the CDC has not recommended any other groups receive a booster shot, and it has not recommended anyone who initially received the Moderna or Janssen/Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines receive a booster shot. For more information on booster shot eligibility, visit the CDC website.
Where to get your COVID-19 Booster shot:
Lowell General Hospital and Circle Health will not be offering Booster shots at this time.
- Pfizer COVID-19 booster doses will be available at more than 460 locations in Massachusetts, including over 450 retail pharmacies such as CVS and Walgreens. Please visit https://vaxfinder.mass.gov/ to search for a COVID-19 booster shot appointment near you.
- Or you may call the Massachusetts COVID-19 Vaccine Resource Line (2-1-1) and follow the prompts. The Resource Line is available in English and Spanish and has translators available in approximately 100 additional languages.
If you have not received your initial COVID-19 vaccination (first dose), you may call Lowell General Hospital’s Chest and Immunization Center at 978-937-6023 to make an appointment for first dose Pfizer vaccination. Visit www.lowellgeneralvaccine.com for more information.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information on COVID-19 Vaccination