Lowell General Hospital has opened a new Labor and Delivery Unit on the top floor of the new Dahod Building on October 29, 2012. The new unit features larger, private patient rooms, where laboring moms and their families can relax and bond. In-room showers and other amenities create a soothing, gracious environment.
Photo: Elizabeth Lydstone, RN, BS, MS-HA, Director of Maternal Child Health Services; Dr. William Galvin, Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology; Michelle Donovan, RN, Clinical Manager, Labor and Delivery and Special Care Nursery, and Dr. Mario Cordova, Neonatologist, Special Care Nursery, cut the celebratory ribbon to open the new Labor and Delivery Unit on the top floor of the Dahod building.
"The unit was designed so that new moms will know we have thought of everything to make their birth experience special," says Elizabeth Lydstone, RN,BS, MS-HA, Director of Maternal Child Health Services. "Interdisciplinary teams from Maternal Child Health and throughout Lowell General (nurses, physicians, specialists, unit secretaries, technicians, etc.) - were involved in the planning process, from the technology and equipment, to design – all to ensure the best family-centered patient experience."
Additional features on the new unit include:
- Four new early labor rooms offer spacious soothing areas for laboring moms
- Whirlpool tub room with spa-like atmosphere to soothe laboring moms
- New Triage Area/Outpatient Suite – for specialists to conduct outpatient testing, saving patient wait times and travel to other locations
- New state-of-the art infant security system
- Increased privacy with transportation via a private elevator (separate from staff/visitor elevators) will be available to transport mom and baby to the Mother/Infant Unit
- Two separate large flat screen televisions for mom and family members to enjoy
The Birthplace at Lowell General already has earned a reputation as the region's most trusted maternity service with the area's only Level IIB Special Care Nursery and 18 obstetric physicians to welcome your baby. We are excited to provide the highest level of care and comfort to our new mothers and their families.