While there is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention always recommends everyday preventative actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses. Many of the things you do to help prevent colds and the flu can help protect you against other respiratory viruses, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based gel.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Clean things that are frequently touched (like doorknobs and countertops) with household cleaning spray or wipes.
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. Use a tissue or your inner elbow, not your hands.
- Wear a facial covering/mask when outside your home and practice social distancing.
- Stay home if you are sick and avoid close contact with others.
Handwashing Tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention