Field Hospital Supports Growing Need of Pandemic Response
In collaboration with the Governor’s Office, UMass Lowell and the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA), Lowell General Hospital has opened an Alternative Care Site (ACS) field hospital to provide additional bed capacity to the Merrimack Valley in anticipation of a continued rise in cases of COVID-19.
This location is an acute care site to support patients with COVID-19 virus, with a range of medical services consistent with acute care. The site is now open for patient referrals from Massachusetts hospitals.
Patient Transfer Information
If you would like to transfer a patient to the ACS or have questions about a transfer, please call 978-942-2420. Leave a message with your name, the organization you are calling from, and the best telephone number to reach you at and a member of our team will follow up with you.
- Lab confirmed COVID-19+
- Resting SaO2 at 94% or greater on no more than 4L NC O2
- Resting HR 120 or less
- Respiratory Rate <=25/min
- No hemodynamic instability
- No need for renal replacement therapy
- Must be able to manage most ADLs independently
- Patients who have been stable inpatient without increasing O2 requirements x24hr
- IV medications are permitted
- Strong preference that any IV Meds are COVID-19 treatment related, i.e.: Remdesivir, Abx, IV
- Recommended any Dexamethasone or Abx be oral if able
At this time, we are not able to accommodate patients with the following conditions:
- Severe or active behavioral health comorbidities with the need for a patient sitter
- Total care needs
- Pediatrics, age < 18 years
- Anticipated need for rapid escalation of care
- Immunosuppressed patients (ie. active chemotherapy patients, neutropenic patients, AIDS pts with CD4<500)
- Pregnancy/breastfeeding patients
- Patients with infection precautions (ie. MRSA, VRE, ESBL, Cdiff, etc.)
- Patients requiring active management of other conditions (ie. active CV disease, telemetry, etc)
- Weight limit > 450 lbs
- ESRD on HD
- Imminent need for blood transfusion and invasive procedures/treatments
- Active substance use dependence, including alcohol use disorder, with high risk for withdrawal
- Patients who lack capacity/dementia
- Complex disposition needs
UMASS Lowell Recreation Center, 322 Aiken Street Lowell MA
For the best driving directions, please plug 292 Aiken Street into your GPS.
Free on-site parking will be available for employees
Become a caregiver today! Positions are still available.
Lowell General Hospital is seeking experienced healthcare professionals to care for patients at the Alternative Care Site. Positions include:
- Certified Nurse Assistants (CNAs/PCT) with a minimum of 1 year of previous experience.
- Registered Nurses (RN) with a minimum of 1 year of inpatient experience, valid BLS and current MA license
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) with a minimum of 1 year of inpatient experience, valid BLS and current MA license
- Respiratory Therapists (RRT) with 2 years of critical care, valid MA license, RRT credential, BLS and ACLS certified
- Case Managers with a valid RN license and minimum 1 year of case manager experience
Per Diem positions are available for all shifts: days, evenings and overnights. Candidates must be available to work at least 8 hours per week. Personal protective equipment (PPE) will be provided and training on proper use.
For more information and to apply to a position click the button below. A member of the talent acquisition team will be in contact to begin the interview process and provide more details.