Sciatica and Disc Disorders
What is sciatica?
- Sciatica is a term for pain that travels from your lower back to your buttock and down the back of your leg (along the patch of the sciatic nerve)
- You may feel pain anywhere along this nerve pathway, especially in the buttock or the back of the thigh or calf
- This pain can be caused by direct compression of the sciatic nerve or more commonly by a herniated disc in the lower (lumbar) spine
- The pain can vary from a mild ache to a sharp, shooting or burning sensation that can be disabling.
- Typically the pain affects only one leg
- The pain is often aggravated by coughing or sneezing or prolonged sitting
What services does the Pain Management Center offer?
- Help with the diagnosis of sciatica
- Medication management
- Epidural steroid injections